Movie Review: Arthur

Thursday, April 28, 2011
Synopsis: Irresponsible charmer Arthur Bach has always relied on two things to get by: his limitless fortune and the good sense of lifelong nanny Hobson to keep him out of trouble. Now he faces his biggest challenge -- choosing between an arranged marriage that will ensure his lavish lifestyle or an uncertain future with the one thing money can't buy, Naomi, the only woman he has ever loved. With Naomi's inspiration and some unconventional help from Hobson, Arthur will take the most expensive risk of his life and finally learn what it means to become a man.
Starring: Russell Brand, Helen Mirren, Jennifer Garner, Greta Gerwig, Nick Nolte, Luis Guzman
Directed by: Jason Winer
U.S. Rating: PG-13

I must start saying that I still remember the first time I watched the original film from 1981 with Dudley Moore. It was considered one of those great comedies from the 80s, and honestly, it really was. Dudley Moore was simply hilarious playing Arthur, not mentioning the amazing cast involved in that film. I was really excited when I heard Warner Bros was working on a remake of this successful comedy, even tough, I got really cautious about how good it would be when I knew that Arthur would be played by Russell Brand. Oh boy, I wasn't wrong. I'm not a big fan of Russell Brand. I personally believe he looks and acts like a total weirdo. I think that the only decent job he's made so far was on the film Get Him To The Greek, maybe because the rest of the cast had such a strong influence on the film that he was just part of the job, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, as said before, I didn't like the idea of casting Russell Brand to play Arthur. I must admit I had a few laughts, but none of them related with Brand's performance. The rest of the cast made a great work, especially Luis Guzman and Helen Mirren. Even though it was part of "Arthur's personality and nature", Russell Brand played the role in another level of stupidity and childish personality. Yes, he played it ok, but I do believe he didn't honor Dudley Moore's work at all.

The plot brings the story of Arthur, a childish momma's boy who's drunk most of the time and spends his fortune with no limits or bounderies. While his mother tries to keep their empire on top of their expectations, Arthur's behavior is pushing investors away. That's why his mother offered him an ultimatum: Marry Susan Johnson, a talented business executive and ex-girlfriend of Arthur. They have nothing in common, but since his mother threatened him that if he didn't accept the proposal he'd loose all of his money ($950 millions), he agreed to do it. The only problem is that during that time of engagement and wedding preparation, Arthur meets a nice humble girl and falls madly in love for her.

Arthur needs to manage the situation of being engaged with someone he doesn't love and someone he met and fell in love with but can't tell the truth about it.

A really entertaining plot, but as said, it was too childish to handle. It could have been such an entertaining film to watch if maybe the lead role could have been played by someone else.

I would rate this movie with a 2/5


Have you watched the film? What did you like or dislike from this movie? What would you rate this movie? Share with us your thoughts!

Enjoy it!... Watch it!

1 Responses to Movie Review: Arthur

  1. Bryon Says:
  2. “Get Him to the Greek” was not the worst movie I have ever seen, but it wasn’t my favorite. I didn’t think it was incredibly funny and it was too long. Just when I thought it was over it would go on longer. The threesome ending was very offensive to me and I thought it was totally unnecessary. I came across this movie on dishonline.com http://bit.ly/dJzWgo when I was logging into my employee account to set my DVR. There are over 3,000 VOD movies to order right to your DVR and watch at home. It’s totally awesome because it’s so convenient and easy to look up movies by title or genre or alphabetically.

     

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Tweets

Follow 35mmReviews on Twitter