Movie Review: Skyline

Monday, December 13, 2010
Synopsis: Strange lights descend on the city of Los Angeles, drawing people outside like moths to a flame where an extraterrestrial force threatens to swallow the entire human population off the face of the Earth.
Starring: Eric Balfour, Crystal Reed, Scottie Thompson , Neil Hopkins (II), David Zayas
Directed by: Colin Strause, Greg Strause
U.S. Rating: PG-13

I'm back after a short abcense to share some thoughts about one of the many films I've watched lately. I have no idea why, among so many other bad, good or great films, I decided to come back with this film first.

Anyway, Skyline... I remember the time when the film came to theaters few weeks ago. I was totally excited and intrigued about all the great effects and action displayed on its trailers. Following great predecessor 'alien invasion' style films, like Independence Day, War of the Worlds, District 9,  Alien, Predator, etc., a film like Skyline should easily offer the key elements to provide good entertainment to all those fans waiting for these alien films.

The plot is based in Los Angeles. A group of friends are having a crazy party night, when suddenly, some strange and shining lights start falling from sky. Everyone looking up and having eye contact with these lights is inmediately controlled by these alien invaders and vanish in the air. when Jarrod and Terry realize the're in great danger, they have no other option that fighting for their lives.

After 30-40 minutes, I'd assure that Skyline didn't offer anything new or different already offered by its predecessors. War of the World and District 9 brought great effects and a pretty strong plot. Skyline offers some pretty good effects and an amazing high quality video image and sound, but a pretty lousy plot. I couldn't feel identified with the cast, since... let's be honest on this one... I couldn't see Donald Faison (Scrubs) playing a thriller/action role in a film like this. I got completely lost and distracted, since the only image I had of this actor is the one playing comedy roles. All the main action and fighting scenes (even a nuclear attack) are deployed on the roof of a single building in LA, even though the invasion was finally shown as a global attack around the world.

Just when I thought it would be a  complete lousy film with nothing new to offer, it suddenly took a weird turn and it felt like a weird collage of War of the World and Terminator film scenes with an unusual end.  It was interesting though, in a weird way. The problem with this film? If the producers and directors were trying to prepare the plot and end for a sequel, I do believe that the reviews, comments and critics have revealed that it would be just a crazy decision.

To be honest, Skyline just got my attention through the last 30 minutes. The begining of the film had nothing interesting to offer other thansome cool effects.

If you're a fan of these kind of films, you might be entertained. If you're looking for a good 'alien invation' kinda film with a decent/strong plot, you will be severely disappointed.

I would rate this movie with a 2/5


Have you watched the film? What did you like or dislike from this movie? What would you rate this movie? Share with us your thoughts!

Enjoy it!... Watch it!

1 Responses to Movie Review: Skyline

  1. I watched the first 10 minutes and it was too weird for me!!! I didn't like it AT ALL. Not my kind of thing....

     

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Tweets

Follow 35mmReviews on Twitter