Movie Review: Pan's Labyrinth

Monday, October 26, 2009
Synopsis: Set in 1940s Spain against the postwar repression of Franco's Spain, a fairy tale that centers on Ofelia, a lonely and dreamy child living with her mother and adoptive father, who is a military officer tasked with 'ridding the area' of rebels. In her loneliness, Ofelia creates a world filled with fantastical creatures and secret destinies. With Fascism at its height, Ofelia must come to terms with her world through a fable of her own creation.

Starring: Maribel Verdu, Sergi López, Ariadna Gil, Alex Angulo, Doug Jones
Directed by: Guillermo del Toro
U.S. Rating: R

For a foreign film with subtitles, I loved it! It was easy to understand. I'm a sucker for a fairytale. This wasn't your typical fairytale, but it was very interesting. I say go see it! Let this be the first of many foreign films to enjoy!!

Won 3 Academy Awards:
Best Cinematography
Best Art Direction
Best Makeup

What did I like from this movie?

1. The costumes, characters, and magical world.
2. The story line

What did I dislike from this movie?

1. Subtitles. I'd almost always rather NOT have them, but they were OK for this film
2. Some parts were a bit graphic, and I am NOT a graphic kind of person

I would rate this movie with a 4/5


What did you like or dislike from this movie? What would you rate this movie?



2 comments

  1. AED Says:
  2. I don't know why, but I LOVE subtitles. I sometimes watch a movie and then put the subtitles on and watch it again. :)

     
  3. It's a good way to learn the language! It helps you to keep your ear in tune with the language.

    It helped me a lot! Since I always had subtitles in the past for absolutely ALL the movies watched

     

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Tweets

Follow 35mmReviews on Twitter