Movie Review: The Descent

Friday, July 31, 2009
Synopsis: (taken from imdb.com) The sportswoman Sarah loses her husband and daughter in a car crash, but she survives. One year later, her friends Beth, Rebecca, Sam and Holly invite her to explore a deep cave in the mountains. When the expedition is about three kilometers underground, a rock collapses and blocks the access tunnel, trapping the group inside the cave. With limited supplies, they try to find a way out, but soon they face a hungry and savage breed of predators.

Starring: Shauna MacDonald, Natalie Mendoza, Alex Reid, Saskia Mulder, MyAnna Buring
Directed by: Neil Marshall
U.S. Rating: R

What I liked from this movie: The movie had an interesting plot line and a lot of surprises. I do not often watch movies where you could not guess what was going to happen. I was surprised by many parts of the movie and even screamed at the ending from being surprised. Unpredictability is a major plus in my book.

What I did not like from this movie: Almost the entire movie took place in a cave and since there was a lot of bloodshed, the movie was basically red and dark. Some parts were a bit too scary for me to actually watch and I had to turn my head; though keep in mind that I'm not a big horror fan. Some of the special effects were weak, at beat. Not all of the acting was incredibly strong either.

Mark and I both rate this movie a 3 out of 5. It was a good movie for a first timer but not one to buy. I liked it enough to want to watch the sequel coming out in September 2009, though. If you can get past a few bad special effects and a few lines that aren't too believable then this is not a bad movie to watch.


What did you like or dislike from this movie? What would you rate this movie?



Amy

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Tweets

Follow 35mmReviews on Twitter