Movie Review: Once

Monday, February 15, 2010
Synopsis: A tale that follows 'the Guy', who works part-time helping his father run a small, vacuum cleaner repair business, but dreams of one day having his songs recorded and landing a record deal. Emotionally vulnerable, he is still coming to terms with the recent departure of his girlfriend and lacks the conviction and passion to move on in his pedestrian life. One day, he meets 'the Girl', an Eastern European immigrant who has moved to Dublin to start a new life for herself. Currently working as a house cleaner in an upper-class residence, she is struggling financially. She yearns for what she cannot afford--a piano to help her escape from the daily grind of finding her way through this strange new land. A relationship blossoms between 'the Guy' and 'the Girl', as they're both struggling. Their shared love of music causes them to flourish and grow with a new found confidence as they take a chance on each other and a new beginning on life.

Starring: Glen Hansard, Marketa Irglova, Hugh Walsh, Gerry Hendrick, Alastair Foley
Directed by: John Carney
U.S. Rating: R

Well, the truth about this review is that I never meant to watch this movie,in the first place. We received by post two new Blu-Rays from Netflix. I should mention that we never asked or listed this film in our list of movies, we were surprised when we received it. We decided to watch it anyway, since we were just set in from of the TV and ready to watch something and chill for the night.

Once is an Irish film about a guy who works part-time at a vacuum cleaner repair center and plays his guitar and songs on a busy street at nights, trying to move on and coup with the lost of his girlfriend (she's gone, not dead). His dream is to get a record deal and play his music. He meets a girl who is an Eastern European immigrant who moved to Dublin to start over with her life. They get connected through their music and of course, you might guess the rest of the story.

In other words, the film was all about the communication of two strangers through music and the lyrics of the songs they sang. It was actually annoying! I don't know, maybe it was me (since I'm not into musicals), or the film was so slow and boring that I didn't get it. I was bored out of my mind watching it, and I knew how bad it was because my wife Mary, who is a helpless romantic person, couldn't stand this film either.

I took some time just to read a little bit about the film, since it was the first time I heard (and watched) this film. Most of the reviews, critics and comments expressed the best about it, saying that it was one of the best films of the year (2007), a beautiful romantic film that was able to express its beauty through the music and lyrics sung by the lead roles.

I just say that I totally disagree with these reviews, comments and critics. Anyway, if you feel like watching it, do it! I'm just sharing my personal experience, ideas and impressions about the film. Maybe you could be another person out there who thinks it is actually an amazing and romantic film. In my case, I won't recommend the film.

What did I like from this movie?

1. Nothing

What did I dislike from this movie?

1. The girl walking with the broken vacuum everywhere. So annoying and unfunny
2. I didn't know if I was watching a film or a musical. If it was a film, it sucked... if it was a musical, could be considered the worst musical ever

I would rate this movie with a 1/5


What did you like or dislike from this movie? What would you rate this movie?


Enjoy it!... Watch it!

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Tweets

Follow 35mmReviews on Twitter